RAJASTHAN CHURCH COUNCIL (RCC) –
The followings is the excerpt from the Book “The United Church of Northern India Survey 1968” published by GA of UCNI in Nagpur.
In the year 1967 it had churches in Ajmer, Nazirabad, Ashapura, Piploda and Kota
History: The first missionaries of the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland reached Beawar in 1860 and by the end of the century had started work in 12 centres of Rajasthan including Ajmer, Nazirabad, Jaipur and Udaipur. Much of Rajasthan is an arid desert area and when the Monsoon fails the result is famine. There were severe famines in Rajputana in 1869, 1875 and 1900 during which several million people in the area are reported to have died of hunger, bubonic plague and cholera. “In these famines the missionaries played a large part in the work of relief, something using resources provided by the Churches sometimes on behalf of Public Authorities, Many orphans were taken into shelter, and these are in many cases the ancestors of members of the Church” At one period more than 2000 orphans were in the industrial training schools in Ashapura and many of these children were later settled on land in Piploda, Ashapura and Baakpura, which the Government gave to the early missionaries for this purpose. In 1927 the present Rajasthan Church Council was organized as a separate Church Council of the UCNI.
Integration: Integration between the work of the Church of Scotland and the work of Church Council was finalised in 1960 when responsibility for both evangelistic and institutional work was given to the Church Council. The constitution however, gives “ex-officio” membership of the Church Council to all missionaries, lay as well as ordained.