Ludhiana is the biggest industrial city of North India with population nearly 30 Lacks. The city has over 20,000 industrial units big and small producing Hosiery, Woolen Garments Cycles, Cycle parts and number of other engineering goods and earn huge foreign exchange. Ludhiana city has two Medical College, Christian Medical College and Dayanand Medical College with attached hospitals and many other hospital, two Homeopathic medical colleges, two Dental Colleges out of which Christian dental college India’s first dental college established in .
1992, Guru Nanak Engineering college and many other educational and Technical Institutions above all there is Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) where large numbers of students and young farmers are trained in different sciences of agriculture. The scientist of PAU are responsible Green and White revolutions in India.
In 1830 Rev. Robert Clark of CMS arrived at Ludhiana with 50th foot regiment of Kent, who started Church services in this regiment where the foundation stone of Christ Church was laid by Most Revd Daniel Wilson on 25th Oct.. 1836 presently in fountain Chowk and was consecrated on 31 st Oct. ,1838 by Bishop of Lahore.
Along with Rev. Robert Clark, Rev. John C Lowrie, Rev. John Newton and Rev. C. W. Foreman of American Presbyterian Church were the pioneers in the former Punjab to establish missionary work.
The same group of men met Maharaja Ranjit Singh in 1835 in the Middle of Satluj river which in those days was very close to Lodhi-Ana the last station of British India. After having peace treaty Maharaja Ranjit Singh allowed Presbyterian Missioners to work at Lahore (His Capital City).
On April 29, 1837 the first Presbyterian Church was organized, the first member was Joseph porter, Herriet Porter, Elizabeth Newton. On April 30th Mr. Golakh Nath, John Baptist Lewis and Halder Ghosh were baptised and all celebrated Lord’s Supper that day, Mr Golakh Nath was first Indian elder ordained.
The followings is the excerpt from the Book “The United Church of Northern India Survey 1968” published by GA of UCNI in Nagpur.
In the year 1967 this Church Council had churches at Dagru, Ludhiana, Mudki, Faridkot, Makhu, Muktsar, Ferozpur city, Mallanwala, Pir Mohammad, Ferozpur cant. Maluwal, Sodhinagar, Guruharsahai, Moga, Zira and Kotkapura.
Partner Church: United Presbyterian Church in U.S. A.
History: Ludhiana was the first field of the American Presbyterians who started work there in 1834. By 1886 there were seven churches and 20 Ministers (including 7 Indians) in the Ludhiana Presbytery which at that date covered the whole Punjab. The present Ludhiana Church Council was formed in 1965 and is made up of Moga and Ferozepore Districts (formerly Ambala Church Councils) and Ludhiana District (formerly Doaba Church Council).
Nearly all the Christians are descendants of those who were converted from two Depressed Class groups between 1880 and 1920. There is also a sprinkling of Muslim and Sikh converts, several of the clergy belonging to the former group.
Integration: The evangelistic work of the U.P.U.S.A. integrated with the Church Council in 1955 and all institutions were integrated with the Punjab Synod at that date. All grants overseas to the Church Council for evangelistic work were discontinued in 1966.