Executive Secretary: Rev. S,B. Pathane
Church Council house, E.P.school compound
Nagala Park, Kolhapur-416003
The congregation belonging today to the Kolhapur Church Council (KCC) is the fruit of missionary work by American Presbyters, which started in 1852. In 1924 the Kolhapur Presbytery became part of the United Church of Northern India, which brought together presbyterian and congregational churches, they formed the Kolhapur Church Council within the church of Northern India. Though the United church joined the Northern Church in 1970, the KCC claimed that it continued to exists as a juridical entity. A dispute between the Presbyterian Church USA and KCC over properties was finally settled in 1977 by mutual agreement. The KCC does evangelistic work in western Maharashtra and is represented in the political districts of Kolhapur i.e.; Sangli, Ratnagiri, Sindurga, and Belguam (Kamataka).
Churches:– 60 Organized Churches and about 140 house fellowships – 40 Ordained Ministers and 7 Evangelists take the pastoral care of these Churches, beside this Church planting work is going on slowly. The KCC has the vision of planting 400 Churches and train 100 ministers for this. Slowly the work is going on. City churches pay for their pastors but village pastors are paid by evangelists. There are 9 urban churches and 46 village churches.
Schools: K C. C. runs 6 Govt aided High Schools and 1 Primary School and 3 unaided high and 1 primary schools; it also runs 3 Hostels for Girls and 1 Hostel for boys. Through one C.E. organization we get Scholarships for Vocational and Job Oriented Courses. Many young men and women are taking advantages of these scholarships and are trying to stand on their own foot.
Medical Work :– The Church Council runs two Hospitals Mary Wanless Hospital in Kolhapur and Wilson Memorial Hospital at Kodoli along with SFI Medicare Pvt Ltd. KC.C.sponsors students for M. B.13. S., B. Sc. Nursing and other courses.
Social Work :– The KC.C. runs a Micro Loan Programme for village Church members. Villagers are taking Loans and returning the same. They are doing petty businesses and soon loan amount would be increased.
Bible School :– With the Support of Love Maharashtra KC.C. started residential Bible College (B. Th Level) in 2003 at a place called “Kodoli”.
It has Medical Committee, Education Committee,Evangelical Committee, Socio- Eco Committee, Property Committee, Grades & Salary Committee etc.
The followings is the excerpt from the Book “The United Church of Northern India Survey 1968” published by GA of UCNI in Nagpur.
In 1967 the following Churches and the areas were under this council: Aitiwadi, Herle, Kodoli, Soni, Bhadule, Islampur, Miraj, Tanang, Borpadle, Kawalapur, Nipani, Wadinge, Porle, Wanlesswadi, Kawathe Piran, Chokak, Halondi, Kini, Sangli, Yelur, Hamidwada, Kolhapur, Shiroli, Bawachi,Kameri, Kalambi, Madhavnagar.
Partner Church: Its partner church in the year 1967-68 was United Presbyterian Church in U. S. A.
It had organised and unorganised churches in Aitiwadi, Herle, Kodoli, Soni, Bhadule, Islampur, Miraj, Tanang, Borpadle, Kawalapur, Nipani, Wadinge, Chokak, Halondi, Kini, Sangli, Yelur, Hamiswada, Kolhapur, Shiroli, Bawachi, Kameri, Kalambi, Madhavnagar.
History: The American Presbyterian first opened their work in Kolhapur and later ventured further south to Kodoli in 1880 and Sangli around 1886. Miraj Hospital was founded in 1896.
The first converts were reported about the turn of the century when a Mass Movement started among two different Depressed Class groups. A revival in the Sangli area in the 1930’s is said to account from many of the present Christians. Nearly all the present members of the Kolhapur Church Councils are descendants of these Mass Movement converts.
Integration: In 1955 the evangelistic and institutional work of the American Presbyterians was integrated with the Indian Church at the Church Council level. Missionaries are asked for and stationed by the Church Council and are subject to Church Council regulations in the same way as others.