FARRUKHABAD CHURCH COUNCIL (FCC)

FARRUKHABAD CHURCH COUNCIL (FCC) –  

This Council falls under North India Synod.: 
Churches at Kashgunj, Manota and Etah
Moderator: Rev. C.P.Masih
Vice Moderator: Rev. Deepak Kumar
Secretary: Mr. Dennis Gideon
Treasurer:

The followings is the excerpt from the Book “The United Church of Northern India Survey 1968” published by GA of UCNI in Nagpur.

In the year 1967 it had churches under Organised Congregation at Barhpur,  Marerha, Basundhra, Patiali,  Bilram, Phapotu, Etah, Rakha, Farrukhabad-          -City Church, Singhrirampur, Fategarh -All Souls’ Church, Soron, Kasganj  – Sadar Church,  Kasganj- Kot Mohalla Church, and under Unorganised Groups: at Baghwala, Kartala, Bahari Vesh, Murgaon.

Partner Church: United Presbyterian Church in U. S. A.

Partner Church: United Presbyterian Church in U. S. A.

History:   As these Manipuri and Farrukhabad Church Councils share the same history, environment and many of the same difficulties they are reported on together, but separate statistics, etc, are given for each.Missionaries of the American Presbyterian Church opened an orphanage in Farrukhabad in 1838 and during the next fifty years extended their work through the villages and main towns of the area. Work was opened in the main centers in the following dater:- Rakha 1839, Manipuri 1843, Etah 1873, Kasganj 1878 and Etawah 1886. In 1912 the  work in the Shikohabad district was taken over from the American Methodists.

During the 19th century the growth of the Church was slow and its members were drawn from many different backgrounds. Around the turn of the century a mass movement started among two different groups of the Depressed Classes, with the result that the Mission, who had reported a baptised community of 1590 in 1898, reported in 1917 that the total baptised community had risen to 50,479.

Integration: The evangelistic work of the U.P.U.S.A. was integrated with the work of the two Church Councils in 1956. All institutional work was integrated with the N. India Synod, UCNI at the same date. Until the end of 1965 each Church Council had 20 organised congregations but in addition each of the seven District Superintendents had a number of “Ilaquas” (districts) under his care. Christians living in the 2,000 villages of these “Ilaquas” were not members of an organised congregation and were served by evangelists (ordained and lay) most of whom did not live in the village but traveled out from the District Centre. The work among the unorganised groups was constitutionally under the Church Councils, but as all finance for this work come from Overseas via the Synod the Church Councils looked upon it as ” Mission” work, and not truly their responsibility.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *