DOABA CHURCH COUNCIL (DCC) –
The followings is the excerpt from the Book “The United Church of Northern India Survey 1968” published by GA of UCNI in Nagpur.
In the year 1967 it had churches at Adampur , Hoshiarpur, Phagwara, Goraya, Jullundur City, Phillaur, Gorewaha, Madar, Sura Nussi.
Partner Church: United Presbyterian Church in U. S. A.
History: The Presbyterian Church U. S. A., started work in Jullundur in 1846. Development during the early years was largely due to the devotion of the Rev. Golaknath, the son of a Calcutta Brahman Tea Merchant who, having studied under Alexander Duff, was forced to leave home due to his leanings towards Christianity. He was baptised in Ludhiana in 1837 and later became the first Indian to be ordained in the Punjab. In 1867 a second center was opened in Hoshiarpur, where the pioneer was another of Duff’s converts Kali Charan Chatterjee. The first churches to be built in the area were those in Jullundur city and Gorewaha both of which bear the date 1873. The history of that described under Gurdaspur. In 1939 Doaba was constituted as a separate Church Council under the Punjab Synod and in 1957, as a result of integration, the Church Council assumed sole responsibility for all evangelistic work. The integration of institutions in the area took place at the Synod level. The Christians in Adampur District belonged to the N. W. India Mission until 1947, when they transferred their membership to the UCNI.
Integration: The evangelistic work of U.P.U.S.A. is fully integrated with the UCNI at Church Council level.The institutional work has been integrated at Synod level.