BOMBAY CHURCH COUNCIL (BCC) –
The followings is the excerpt from the Book “The United Church of Northern India Survey 1968” published by GA of UCNI in Nagpur.
Partner Churches: East of India Mission of the Church of Scotland and The American Marathi Mission of the United Church Board from World Ministries.
History: Two missionaries of the American Board, having been turned away from Bengal, began work in Bombay in 1813. They were followed in 1823 by a member of the Scottish Missionary and in 1829 by Dr. J. Wilson, one of the most famous of the Scottish pioneer missionaries. The Church of Scotland opened work in Poona in 1834. In 1924 Christians of both Presbyterian and Congregational traditions came together in the UCNI.
Integration: The evangelistic work of both the American Marathi Mission and the Church of Scotland was integrated with the Church council in 1950. The Church Council has a Board of Evangelism and Church Extension on which both Overseas Mission Boards have ex-officio representation. Both the West of India Mission continues responsibility for certain institutions and in neither case is the work of these two overseas missions directly related to any Church Court of the UCNI. The Wilson Education Society is an autonomous Board integrated with the General assembly, UCNI and responsible for Wilson College and two ex-Church of Scotland High Schools in Bombay. Each congregation is very much an entity on its own and the Church council does not seem to be central to the life of the Church. Congregations apply to the Mission of their origin for students’ scholarships, grants for theological training, etc.