Allahabad Church Council (ABCC)
The followings is the excerpt from the Book “The United Church of Northern India Survey 1968” published by GA of UCNI in Nagpur.
In the year 1967 the churches within this council were at Jamna Church- Allahabad, Katra Church- Allahabad, Naini Community- Allahabad, Naini (Leper Colony Church) – Allahabad, Chowk Church Project -Allahabad, Gowaltoli Church- Kanpur, Fatehpur, Chakeri Church- Kanpur., Shastrinagar House Church.
Partner Church: United Presbyterian Church in U. S. A.
History: Shastrinagar House Church
The first seeds of the present UCNI Church in Allahabad were sown in 1836 when a small school was started by American missionaries. The first congregation was organized in Allahabad in 1840 and, by edict of the American General Assembly of May 1841, the Allahabad Presbytery (Church Council) came into being. In 1852 work was started in Fatehpur, where the pioneer was Gopi Nath Nundy, a Bengali convert of Alexander Duff. The Kanpur congregation was organized in 1900 and by 1915 was self-supporting.
Integration: The evangelistic work of the United Presbyterian Church in U.S.A. was integrated with the work of the Church Council and institutional work was integrated with the N. India Synod in 1956. Since 1966 no grants have been received by the Church Council from U. S. A. for the support of ministers or for other evangelistic work.